Sunday, September 5, 2010

Interpersonal Conflicts in Taiwan

I have never thought that I will conflict with others for the sake of different views on politics. I’ve never been keen on politics in my life, but my trip to Taiwan recently shows an unknown side of me, which shocks me a lot.


Invited by a non-government organization in Taiwan, I ,along with the other 19 Chinese who study or work overseas got together for a 9-day workshop in Taipei, focusing on an overall examinations of politics, economy and folk customs in Taiwan. During the 9 days, we visited a number of places and interviewed a lot of people, from its government agencies to folk organizations, acquiring a fresh look at Taiwan. Just as we had expected, Taiwan is a piece of fantastic and amazing land. Taiwanese are hospitable and friendly. We speak the same language and share the same culture roots.  I had a strong sense of going back home in Taiwan, which was quite different while staying in Singapore. In the eyes of mainlanders in China, Taiwan is a treasure island all the time and is a part of China without any doubt. I have taken it for granted since my childhood. But some people don’t think so. Some independence-minded Taiwanese hold that Taiwan should be a nation although it is not recognized in international society. I argued against them and tried to persuade them into accepting the concept of One China, but in vain. I can understand it for they have been brought up with the belief and it is not so easy to abandon it. What I couldn’t tolerate was that some people in our workshop who had been raised in Mainland held a very vague attitude on this issue. It was a matter of sovereignty. I thought no vagueness was allowed. I love Taiwan. It is Taiwanese freedom to implement democratic politics to develop the area, but I extremely love my motherland---China. As a unity, China and Taiwan are inseparable. Hence, I quarreled with the persons in our workshop at first, even with sharp words. Unfortunately I couldn’t change these people’s minds for they don’t take China so dear to them. As protests against them, I ceased to greet and talk to them every day although we always stayed together within the 9 days. .

Recalling the conflicts encountered in Taiwan, I’m surprised to find out my other side. Name it as patriotism or nationalism, and unluckily I possess it.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this very revealing description of your conflict, Miao.
    I suppose as a question to be posed at the end of it, you could have included something like this: How might I have approached my interactions with those who disagreed with me in a congenial manner?

    In any case, as we discussed in class, the question may be implied in Chinese, but not in English rhetoric.

    Let's see how your classmates respond.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Brad. Sorry, it seems I haven't got the idea of posting a question at the end. I'm just revealing my conflicts.
    Yes, that's the problem: how to interact with those in a comfortable way? In Taiwan I was upset and not rational enough to come up with any way to ease the conflicts. But now I think the best way is commnication. We could drop off our disagreement and talk about what we have in common for all of us love Taiwan and its people. All of us hope that the interactions across Taiwan Strait at present will greatly benefit its people on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Miao I agree with the finding common aspect part.. by focusing on that, it is good temporarily in avoiding interpersonal conflicts.

    I like your interesting anecdote about how politics may bring about interpersonal conflicts, and you have also helped me understand better what chinese sentiments are.

    Regarding your writing, although my english is still far from perfect, I can try my best to help you edit your grammar and sentence structure before you submit your post. If you're willing, just let me know =) Hope you have enjoyed and learnt much from Brad's awesome lessons and all the interactions with us..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, You Sheng. "Chinese setiments" you mentioned above touched me. Some of them are rooted in our minds. It is unbearable to be played down. Thank you for your understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miao,

    A interesting blog post there that relates clearly on what the conflicts was, where the conflict happened, why the conflict happened, who the conflict was and how you handled the question. The thing lacking like Brad mentioned, is a question to it.

    Your love for your country is definitely commendable. However, I feel that to get into a conflict over this issue is something very personal, and it should not affect the workshop that was on-going.

    People tend to speak bluntly when they are angry. Hence, my suggestion would be to end the topic when you see the differences between you and the other person. The culture and the politics of the place have had some influence on the people; words simply just cannot change their views and perspective of the issue.

    The solution is really just to calm down and smile at him/her. "A smile is a curve that make things straight". Try it. =)

    In terms of language, it can be spotted that there are couple of sentences that are "translated" from Chinese. Think it would be advisable to let someone edit the post before posting it. You can come to me or any of our classmates in ES2007S. We can do a peer editing before we post the post officially on the website.

    Anyway, enjoy your stay in Singapore ya? =P

    ReplyDelete